St Luke’s Healthcare for the Clergy has been supporting the health and wellbeing of the Anglican clergy for nearly 125 years.
The charity was established by Canon William Henry Cooper in 1892 as St Luke’s Hostel, later becoming St Luke’s Hospital for the Clergy. The hospital had a very high reputation for its compassionate and caring treatment. The consultants gave their time free of charge and running costs were covered by donations from trusts, parishes, livery companies, individuals and legacies.
However, in 2009, due to spiralling costs, the hospital closed – and St Luke’s Hospital for the Clergy became St Luke’s Healthcare for the Clergy. The trustees were determined that St Luke’s would continue to offer the clergy a wide range of medical and psychological care from skilled, sympathetic clinicians.
The consultants remained loyal to St Luke’s and today the charity has over 100 eminent ‘honorary consultants’ in the fields of medicine, surgery, psychiatry and psychology. They provide advice and second opinions and sometimes help with early diagnosis for the clergy and their families.
St Luke’s is also proactive in caring for the clergy by working in a preventative role, offering resilience training and reflective practice groups through the dioceses.
Although we no longer run a hospital, our vision is clear – for Anglican clergy to be healthy in mind and body, able to serve their parish and community to their full potential.